What To Do After A Car Accident In South Carolina
A car accident is one of the most traumatic events that many people will ever experience. It can be a confusing and emotional time, particularly if serious injuries are involved. There are several steps you can take after a crash to protect your well-being and your legal rights, including:
- Make sure to stop. If you are involved in a car crash, don’t drive away. You could be charged with hit-and-run, even if the collision wasn’t your fault.
- Get medical help. Call for emergency medical help if your or anyone else involved in the accident has been injured. Even if you do not think you have been hurt, it is still a good idea to get checked out. Some injuries are not immediately evident. Be sure to tell your doctor what happened in the crash and give details about all of your symptoms.
- Call the police. Different jurisdictions have different rules about when the police will respond to an accident. Be safe and report any accident.
- Move your car to safety. After an accident, your car could cause further collisions simply because it may be obstructing traffic. If possible, move your car out of direct traffic. Turn on your hazard lights as well.
- Don’t admit fault. Even though you may feel overwhelmed, be careful not to admit fault or volunteer information about whom you think was to blame. You are likely not aware of all of the facts and circumstances in the confusion that follows a car accident.
- Take pictures. Whether you use your cellphone or a camera, take lots of pictures of the scene and the vehicles involved. If you are unable to take photos, ask someone else on the scene to do it for you.
- Exchange information with the other drivers. Get the names, addresses, phone numbers and insurance information from the other drivers at the scene. This information will be crucial for any later legal actions.
- Get witness information. If there are other witnesses to what happened, make sure to collect their information. Eyewitnesses can be hard to locate later without proper contact info.
- Notify your insurance company. You should notify your insurance company about the accident as soon as possible. If you neglect to take this step, your insurer may deny coverage. However, don’t make a recorded or written statement to either your insurance company or another driver’s without first getting legal advice from a car accident attorney.
- Consult with a South Carolina auto accident lawyer. The dedicated staff of the Maguire Law Firm in Myrtle Beach wants you to be able to focus on your recovery, your family and your future. Call our office and let us deal with the insurance company.
- Call 843-438-5561, or use our online contact form.