There may be a variety of potential benefits to choosing to ride a bicycle as a primary means of transportation. Whether to avoid the hustle and bustle of traffic or as a healthy means of exercise, or both, you may prefer to use your bike to travel to and from each of your daily destinations.
With the added bonuses, there also comes a certain level of risk, as cyclists are unable to take advantage of the protective barriers other motor vehicles provide. Since collisions involving bicycles can have disastrous consequences, taking measures to reduce the chances a crash will occur is imperative.
Promoting safety as a cyclist
By gaining a better grasp of safe riding tips and procedures before you head out on South Carolina roads, you might be able to reduce the odds an accident will take place. Some of these tips may include the following:
- Dress for the occasion: As a cyclist, wearing the necessary safety gear is essential, and a helmet could provide much-needed protection against a serious head injury should a collision occur.
- Know the rules: Understanding traffic laws and knowing the potential risks you may face as a cyclist could help you better prepare to handle a variety of riding scenarios.
- Awareness is key: Remaining alert and being aware of your surroundings could help you spot a potential hazard in time to avoid it.
- Distraction is dangerous: Avoiding visual, manual, cognitive and auditory distractions is key, as any action that takes your attention off the task at hand could place your safety at risk.
- Be visible: As a cyclist, you are inherently more difficult to spot out on the road and finding ways to increase your visibility could prove vital.
Unfortunately, even the safest of riders may struggle to react to the actions of a negligent driver, and if a car hits you while out riding your bike, you could be the one left suffering the consequences.
When the unthinkable occurs
If you suffer serious injuries in a bicycle-related collision, you might be facing extensive medical costs and a long road to recovery. While you may wish to know more about the next steps to take to seek accountability, navigating the civil justice system can be a complex process. Fortunately, you don’t have to go through this alone. By seeking advice from someone who is knowledgeable in such intricate matters, you may become better prepared to pursue the restitution you deserve through a personal injury claim.