upset elderly woman

What Can You Do About Nursing Home Complaints?

To move your loved one into a nursing home in South Carolina is a difficult decision. Where you hope that it is for the best, what happens when your loved one starts to complain about the home? How do you know if these complaints are valid? If you want to solve your loved one’s discomfort, AARP has a few tips for responding to your loved one’s concerns. 

In some instances, the complaints may be easy to resolve. If he or she has a roommate and there is conflict between the two, you may need to consider moving to a different room. If it is still early on, there may be an adjustment period. Another common issue that you want to look into is any issue with food. If it is a matter of food preference, you can ask about bringing your loved one’s favorite foods during visits. You can also ease the transition by coming to the home to eat meals. 

It is not always as simple as food preferences or difficulty adjusting. Look for any signs of malnourishment, as malnourishment can be a sign of elder neglect. Visit the nursing home regularly and establish relationships with the staff. This will provide you with a means to monitor your loved one’s care. If you see any serious lapses in care, you can attend meetings to bring up your concerns. 

In nursing homes, medical neglect, emotional neglect and signs of physical abuse or neglect are serious. Any serious signs that staff members overmedicate or use restraints deserve a report. 

None of the above is meant to be legal advice; it is for educational purposes only. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

When you're Injured
in Myrtle Beach...

Mailing Address:
1600 North Oak Street Suite B,
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

1021 Sea Mountain Highway Suite B,
North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582

P: (843)438-5561

NOTICE ! No Legal Advice Intended. This website includes general information about legal issues and developments in the law. Such materials are for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current legal developments. These informational materials are not intended, and must not be taken, as legal advice on any particular set of facts or circumstances. You need to contact a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction for advice on specific legal issues problems.