The legal team at the Maguire Law Firm knows that it’s hard to recover from an accident, financially and emotionally. It’s even more frustrating when you are the victim of an accident caused by a drunk driver.
Our drunk driving accident lawyers represent victims of drunk driving and their families.
Impaired driving is a senseless act. It is entirely preventable. If you are a victim, our Myrtle Beach drunk driving accident lawyers can help you claim financial compensation. Contact us at (843) 417-9978 to see how we can help you.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Near Myrtle Beach
The Maguire Law Firm represents victims of drunk driving accidents in claiming financial compensation. We are lawyers representing victims and their families in Myrtle Beach and the surrounding areas. You do not have to struggle alone. Our law firm knows what’s involved in holding the offender accountable and for the victim to receive an appropriate amount of financial compensation.
What do you need to prove to get compensation from a drunk driver?
To receive compensation from a drunk driver, you must prove:
- The driver was impaired by drugs or alcohol or over the legal limit
- A crash occurred
- The crash was the result of their drunk driving, at least in part
- Injuries resulted to the victim
In a drunk driving case, there’s a good chance the police will do some of the work preserving evidence and building the case for impaired driving. We can use their evidence and gather more.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
You can bring a claim for compensation whether or not the defendant is charged criminally and whether or not they are convicted.
What compensation can you get as a drunk driving victim?
A victim may claim drunk driving compensation for both financial and emotional losses. In addition, because of the seriousness of the offender’s actions, they may also ask for punitive damages.
Damages for a drunk driving victim may include:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitation services
- Loss of earnings and earning capacity, income and business opportunities
- Property damages
- Substitute domestic services
- Other monetary losses
- Pain, suffering
- Inconvenience, physical impairment, disfigurement
- Loss of consortium, reputation, humiliation
- Punitive damages
(Source: SC Code Title 15 – Civil Remedies and Procedures)
Punitive damages in drunk driving claims
Asking for punitive damages requires some special steps and procedures. Punitive damages must be prayed for in the complaint, but not with a specific amount. They are awarded if the plaintiff proves they were harmed by the defendant’s willful, wanton or reckless conduct.
Punitive damages may be available in your claim if you were injured by a drunk driver. But it’s imperative that you work with an attorney who has experience litigating cases involving impaired drivers. Our lawyers are knowledgeable and experienced in legal procedures for drunk driving claims. We can ensure that you claim all the types of compensation you deserve.
Effects Of Alcohol on Driving
Why is drinking and driving so dangerous? Here are some of the problems with that deadly combination:
- Alcohol causes poor judgment
- It slows your reaction time
- Alcohol limits your ability to concentrate and to make effective decisions.
- Alcohol impairs your eyesight
- A driver with BAC 0.08 is three times more likely to have a traffic collision than with no impairment
- A driver with a BAC of 0.25 percent is 25 times more likely to cause a traffic collision
(Source: Latest NHTSA Study Shows How Much Alcohol Use Increases Crash Risk)
Do you need a lawyer if you’re the victim of an accident involving drunk driving?
When a drunk driving accident occurs, the defendant may face criminal charges. The purpose of criminal charges is to hold the offender accountable to society. While you may receive some reimbursement through the criminal process, compensation for the victim is not the focus of the proceedings. Restitution is limited, and pain and suffering compensation is not allowed. (Source: SC Code § 16-3-1110; U.S. Attorney’s Office, District of South Carolina, Restitution)
A lawyer can assist you in bringing a civil claim. The purpose of a civil drunk driving claim is to determine what the defendant owes the victim in compensation. In your own claim, you may demand the full range of damages including future medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost income and more.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
Working with your lawyer, you have control over the civil claim. You decide what evidence to present and whether to accept any settlement offers. Let our lawyers help you understand how a civil claim works and how our lawyers can help you get justice.
Do you have to wait until the criminal charges are over?
It’s best to contact our law firm right away. There are deadlines to bringing your claim, and they’re the same even if criminal charges are pending. What unfolds in the criminal case should be watched carefully; but know that you can bring your claim even if the defendant enters a plea in the criminal case, or even if they’re found not guilty at trial. Our lawyers for victims of drunk driving in Myrtle Beach will monitor the criminal proceedings closely as we prepare your civil claim.
Taking New Cases
When you’re looking for experienced drunk driving accident lawyers “near me”, we invite you to meet with Maguire Law Firm for a free consultation. We’re currently taking new cases. Here’s why people choose us to represent them after a drunk driving accident:
- Our founder, Ian D. Maguire, has more than two decades of experience representing victims. He leads a team of trained professionals.
- We’re dedicated to your cause. By representing you, we’re helping you get justice, and making our community a better place.
- Organizations like Martindale Hubbell (AV rated), Best Lawyers, and the National Association of Distinguished Counsel (Nations Top One Percent) have recognized our success. It’s a reflection of our commitment to you.
- Local knowledge of the Myrtle Beach area and the courts helps us customize a legal strategy for your case.
- Free consultations, and the no-fee guarantee. Fees are computed before deducting expenses from the recovery.
- It’s our goal for you to receive the maximum amount of compensation in the most efficient manner.
Contact Us for Your Consultation
You may deserve financial compensation following a drunk driving accident. Contact us to see how the Maguire Law Firm can help you.
We are dedicated to seeing that you get the justice that you deserve. To reach us in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, and the surrounding areas, call (843) 417-9978.